Tin Foil Camping Meals: 17 Easy and Affordable Recipes
We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
A day of camp life is sure to make the best of us hungry campers. Do you want a no mess, easy, and tasty meal? Cooking up yummy tin foil camping meals is a sure fire way to please even the most ravenous of your camping bunch.
These meals are simple to make, nourishing, and affordable. The best part is that you have very little clean up after.
Hobo meals, or tin foil camping meals, can be made in advance with a little bit of preparation. There are plenty of recipes to please the pickiest of outdoor adventurers. You have a variety of heating options to make hobo meals. This makes these tin foil meals the best food choice for any camping venture.
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Tongs (Long metal)
- Cutting Board
Preparation and Assembly Tips: Tin Foil Camping Meals
- Gather up your ingredients: Tin foil meals generally consist of a protein, vegetables, seasoning and/ or sauce.
- Prepare your ingredients: Chop your vegetables and protein. This allows the food to cook evenly and absorb the fats and seasonings.
- Place chopped ingredients onto a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Add butter to your pack. The butter adds fat and helps the food not to stick to the tin foil.
- Add in seasonings and/ or sauce of choice.
- Assemble foil packet: To assemble the foil packet, fold in the sides of your foil til they meet. Take the two edges and roll them together to create a seam. After you have sealed the center, fold the sides in. Repeat this process with another piece of tin foil. Voila!! You have created the tin foil meal packet. Great Job!!
7. Tin foil camping meals can be put together in advance. The packets will stay fresh and ready for cooking for approximately two days. This will free up your time for more outdoor fun on your camping trip.
Cooking Options For Tin Foil Hobo Meals
- Coals: Cooking on campfire coals is the preferred way to cook your tin foil meal packet or Hobo meal. Place the packets directly on the hot coals. Use the tongs to flip the packet approximately every ten minutes. You can find specific cook times in the recipes below.
- Grill: Tin foil camp meals can also be heated or cooked on a grill. Place packet on the grill and follow recipe cook times.
- Oven: If you are in an RV and decide to cook indoors, these tin foil meals can be baked in your RV oven.
Now the you know the basics, here are some recipes for you to get started cooking.
Here are some fantastic and tasty tin foil camping recipes for you to try!!
Tin Foil camping meals: Appetizers and Side Dishes
These appetizers and side dishes compliment your hobo or tin foil camping meals perfectly. A hearty meal is the best way to ensure that you have the energy to keep up with your camping buddies!
- Roasted Onions Tin Foil Pack https://biteontheside.com/whole-roasted-onions-in-foil/
2. Potato Foil Pack https://www.callmepmc.com/campfire-potato-foil-packs/
3. Corn On The Cob https://www.drugstoredivas.net/grilled-corn-on-the-cob/
4. Grilled French Fries in Tin Foil Pack https://www.drugstoredivas.net/grilled-french-fries/
5. Grilled Potato Packs With Garlic https://www.thecountrychiccottage.net/grilled-potato-packets-with-garlic-and/
Tin Foil Camping Meals: Lunch/ Dinner
Eating lunch or dinner with family and friends can lead to special bonging time, especially in the great outdoors. These are times for stopping to refuel or to settle in for the evening.
The campfire is calling your name. Nobody wants to spend social hour cooking and prepping a meal. With these tin foil camping meals, your time is freed up for drinks around the fire or special bonding time with the family.
6. Green Chile Chicken Foil Packets https://letscampsmore.com/green-chile-chicken/
7. Salmon and Snow Peas in Foil https://cookathomemom.com/foil-wrapped-salmon-snow-peas/
8. Shrimp Foil Packs https://www.callmepmc.com/shrimp-foil-packs-in-oven/
9. Foil Packet Chicken Fajitas https://coloradosundays.com/recipes/foil-pack-chicken-fajitas-camping/
10. Italian Sausage and Veggie Foil Packs https://www.fannetasticfood.com/grilled-italian-sausage-veggie-foil-packets/
11. Foil Packet Hawaiian BBQ Chicken. https://www.eatingonadime.com/foil-packet-hawaiian-bbq-chicken-recipe/
12. Santa Fe Chicken Dinner Foil Pack Meal https://www.eatingonadime.com/foil-pack-santa-fe-chicken-dinner/
13. Meatloaf Stuffed Vegetables in Foil https://letscampsmore.com/meatloaf-stuffed-vegetables/
Tin Foil Camping Meals: Desserts
Who doesn’t love a great dessert? A sweet treat at the end of the day is a fun way to leave an indelible mark on your trip. Make your treat time easy and delicious with these tin foil dessert recipes.
14. Variety of Fun Kid Friendly Desserts in Foil http://liltigers.net/5-kids-friendly-summer-dessert-recipes/
15. S’mores in Tin Foil Packs. https://www.lifeof2snowbirds.com/2019/06/s-more-smores-please.html
16. Campfire Apple Crisp in a Tin Foil Pack https://recipesfromapantry.com/campfire-apple-crisp-foil-packets/
Tin Foil Camping Meals: Breakfast
Heading out for that hike you have been waiting for or that day at the beach, is what you have been looking forward to all year. The best way to begin that adventurous day, is by filling up with a great tasting breakfast. This tin foil camping meal can be prepared in advance. The clean up is easy and it will keep you satisfied long into your fun-filled day.
17. Creme Brûlée French toast Tin Foil Meal. https://www.foodologygeek.com/creme-brulee-french-toast/
Clean is made super easy after eating tin foil camping meals. If you eat straight from the tin foil wrapper, simply pitch the waste in a garbage container. That’s it. That’s all you need to do. There are no dishes to wash. Pans are not stacking up in the sink. There is virtually no mess or clean up needed at all.
This is one of the best perks of preparing and cooking these wonderful hobo tin foil camping meals, desserts, and more.
With the right ingredients and supplies, your camping trip is headed for rave reviews. Make sure to keep backcountry food safety in mind as well! Everyone in your troop will be eating well and playing hard. Tinfoil camping meals make every day a breeze and they are sure to please all of the growling tummies you bring with you.
If you have any camp cooking tips or fantastic recipes that you would like to share, please comment.
If you love cooking in an instant pot, check out this article with more crowd pleasing recipes.
Thank you for reading! Please comment, share, and subscribe.
- The 10 Best RV Campgrounds In Virginia: Hampton Roads Area
- RVing For Beginners: 23 Rookie Mistakes To Avoid
- Full-Time RV Living in Winter: Stay Safe and Warm
- The Best Portable RV Generator: Buying Guide and Tips
- Guide To Best RV Shower Heads And Water Conservation Tips
Hello! My name is Cortney. I am 45 years old. I live full time in a 33 foot airstream trailer with my husband of 21 years. I run my own business out of my tin can and love living small. I have two grown kids and three pets. I have worn many hats including mental health counselor and truck driver. My husband is prepping for retiring from the Navy in the next five years. He has been serving for over 22 years faithfully.